Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Fire

About a week and a half ago, on a Saturday morning, I was awakened by someone frantically pounding on our front door. I got up and as soon as I opened the door, I saw that the house across the street was on fire. The lady who works downstairs excitedly told me something that I didn't understand, but I just repeated it like I understood and she ran upstairs to tell them too. I called my friend to see what she had said. He said that she had told me to turn off the electricity. So I did that and then watched the fire. It was interesting but sad. Some observations: The fire trucks showed up just in time... The first house started on fire somehow (I've heard a couple different reasons), but then it started the one next to it on fire. This second house is a place that sells wood (as you can see in the pictures). The wood had caught on fire and would have been quite a blaze if the fire trucks hadn't shown up just in time. There aren't fire hydrants here that I have ever seen. I'd never thought about it until they were necessary. They were pumping water from some trucks into ones that were closer to the fire. Even when the firemen showed up, civilians and firemen just worked alongside each other to fight the fire. I think they must have just handed the hose up to the guy who is putting out the fire from the pulled back roof. I could feel the heat from the fire, even across the street. (Sorry, the pictures are kind of out of order.)





















































No comments: